This Vegan broccoli pasta with almond bacon is simple to make and delicious, full of contrasting flavours! It’s garlicky, tangy, smokey and crunchy. Can be made gluten-free!
- ½ tsp tomato concentrate
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke (or ½ tsp smoked sweet paprika)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup or sugar
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp all purpose soy sauce or tamari (if GF)
- 45 g / ½ cup almond flakes
- 200 g / 7 oz tenderstem broccoli
- 160 g / 6 oz spaghetti (GF if needed)
- ½ hot chilli (optional), deseeded and diced very finely
- 3-4 tbsp / 45-60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, diced very finely
- juice and zest, 1-2 lemons (adjust to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 120° C / 250° F (100° C / 210° F fan) and line a baking tray with a piece of baking paper.
- Mix the almond bacon marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Toss the almond flakes in the marinade and spread them on the prepared baking tray.
- Place the tray in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, giving the almonds a good stir halfway through the baking time. They may appear to still be a little soft when warm but will crisp up once out of the oven and cooled.
- While the almond bacon is getting ready, chop your broccoli into same size pieces. You could either steam it (3 minutes), stir-fry it or roast it on a hot griddle pan. Once cooked, season with salt and set aside.
- Cook the pasta al dente following the packet instructions.
- Heat up 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan on a very low heat.
- Throw in the diced garlic and chilli (if using). Fry them both on a very low heat, stirring frequently, until the garlic releases its aroma but do not allow it to brown as it will taste bitter.
- Toss the cooked pasta in the garlic oil. Season with liberal amounts of lemon juice (I used about 3 tbsp), the zest of one lemon, salt and pepper.
- Fold in the warm broccoli.